Monday, September 28, 2015

Elegant Halloween Pillow: DecoArt Media


Welcome to the DecoArt Mixed Media Haunts Challenge: Goblins, Zombies, Witches... OH MY!
Join the DecoArt Mixed Media Design Team in a spooky Halloween challenge from October 1st through the 28th! Have a peek at our talented designer's projects below and be on the look out for their full tutorials on the DecoArt Media Facebook throughout the Mixed Media Haunts Challenge! 
Feeling inspired? Create your very own spooktacular piece and submit it below through the Inlinkz link at the bottom of our Design Team project photos. Entries will be accepted until October 28th at 11:55pm.

On October 29th, Andy Skinner will choose his two favorite pieces. The runner-up will receive $50 worth of DecoArt Media product and the grand prize winner will receive $100 worth of DecoArt Media goodies!


Hi everyone!!!  It's time to pull out all of your delightfully wicked Halloween decor.  I have to be honest, this is my absolute favorite time of year.  I'm a total Halloween nerd and each year I add a few more pieces to my collection. This year I created this elegant little throw pillow using DecoArt Media fluid acrylic paints and mediums.  I also used Paper Wings Productions Halloween stamps and flowers from my stash.


I started by measuring out and cutting an 11x11" square of canvas.


 Next I prepped the canvas by applying a generous layer of gesso.  I completely covered the entire piece of canvas.


I wanted my pillow to be purple but I didn't have any so I mixed Prussian Blue Hue, Paynes Grey, Quinacridone Magenta and Pyrrole Red.  The result is a beautiful shade of violet.


Once my base coat of paint was dry I stenciled the Indian Ikat design with a mixture of Titanium White and Magenta Interference.  The Interference ads a very subtle tint of magenta to the white paint.


To add a little more interest I stamped "are you a good witch or a bad witch" all over.


Now to add some spooky fun!  I used the DecoArt Media Matte Medium to transfer a trio of vintage spooks.  To transfer the image, I applied the matte medium to both the canvas and the front of the image.  Then I placed the image face down and burnished it using a bone folder.  I let my transfer dry over night then spritzed with water and gently rubbed the paper off with my finger.


After removing all of the paper, I sealed my image with the matte medium.  I added more stamping to frame the image.  This one says: The time has come for the witch's dance!  The spooks from far and near will gather and make merry for Halloween is here.


With all the main pieces done it was time to dress it up with embellishments, sew the back on, stuff and close it up.


I sewed black rose trim to the front before sewing and stuffing the pillow.  I added the bling, roses and leaves at the very end with hot glue.


I used a simple black and white fabric for my backing.  To attach simply place both pieces of fabric right sides facing each other and sew the edges.  Make sure to leave at least a few inches open to turning the pillow inside out.  Then stuff and sew the remaining opening closed.


You can't tell from the pic but I also fringed around the image transfer.  Well there you have it, super simple project with elegant results!  Thank you so much for stopping by today, have a wonderful day!!

6 comments:

  1. I love this Norma !! the image transfer looks wonderful !!

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW - this is so cool! Love love it and would never have thought of priming fabric with Gesso! TFS

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fun, fun project! Love all the techniques you used on this! Hugs, and Blessings!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Norma, this is really a cute project! Love how your Halloween pillow turned out. Really clever! Great tutorial, too. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Really creative! Love this Norma. x

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have recently started a blog, the information you offer on this website has helped me greatly. Thanks for all of your time & work.
    wordpress
    blogspot
    youtube
    កាស៊ីណូអនឡាញ

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...